Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Castings


Fashion week castings are upon us and I feel short


My height was a non-issue in Asia, I fell somewhere in the middle of the various model heights. In Toronto, on the other hand, I walk straight and never let the client see me in my flat boots as I slip into my heels in the lobby and hope they overlook the mere inch that stands between me and some designer’s set minimum height of 5’10. 

Otherwise it’s the same as any other show casting. Smoothing my hair into a ponytail, putting on a tight dress and adding some tights as we are in Canada and it is still winter. Then walking to a casting and running into other models on the street, joining together over the mutual destination and working together to find the exact room in which the designer is waiting for us to introduce ourselves, walk, and then politely make our exits. With so many models being seen in a day, the process is quick and to the point. Unlucky timing might have me waiting in line, making small talk, reuniting with model friends, or Google mapping the destination of my next casting.

Then I find it is best to put the casting out of my mind. There is no point in dwelling on it or being anxious about whether or not I booked the show. One designer might have said my hips are too big, another might have said my hips are perfect but the rest of my measurements are too small. Most, however, say nothing at all except thanking me for coming. These comments used to stress me out, make me think I had to change something, but now I simply go on with my day and check my emails as regularly as ever. Those confirmed bookings might just show up in my inbox. If not, there's always the next job.




1 comment:

  1. I'm glad those comments don't get to you :) They definitely shouldn't!

    ReplyDelete